Runner WIth a Reason

Friday, April 29, 2011

Flying Pig Weekend!

It’s Friday!

As soon as all four kids are off to school it will be time for the Mrs. and I to head to the Flying Pig expo downtown.  Yes, bibs and goodies, but we also have a short shopping list of things to look for while there.

Sadly I will not be running the half with my wonderful wife.  The foot is feeling much better, but I will listen to the Dr. and stay away from running until cleared.  However, I will be participating in the race come Sunday morning - not as a spectator as some may have guessed, but as a volunteer.

Over the past three years I have come to appreciate those who dedicate their time and energy at races to man water stations and work at other places from start to finish.  This will be my first and second time as a volunteer.  First, I will be working with Hospice of the Bluegrass around the starting area picking up shed clothing (sweatshirts, gloves, etc.) that will get donated.  My second volunteer job is working the finish line area.  What exactly I’ll be doing there is yet to be determined.  My friend Kevin is in charge of a group there and I will get my assignment once I’m done at the starting area.  In case you don’t know, Kevin has a couple of great podcasts (the Extra Mile & Extra Mile Galloway Edition).  I will cheer as friends and family cross the start, and I will cheer some more when they cross the “Finish Swine.”

This would have been my third year running this race, but alas, I’m sidelined.  I am still excited about the weekend and look forward to seeing familiar faces and making some new friends along the way.  If you’re on the course (whether beginning or ending) come see me for some high-5’s, hugs and congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment