Runner WIth a Reason

Thursday, October 14, 2010

People (It's In The Little Details)

Chicago is such a cool city. Not only is it a big city, but an extremely diverse city. A race such as the Chicago Marathon brings out all kinds of people, and many more types line the streets throughout the course. Before the race began I was nestled up against a fence, surrounded by, no, packed in like sardines with, thousands of other runners. Started talking with a guy next to me only to find out he had traveled from Toronto to Chicago for the race. And I thought coming from Cincinnati was a long haul?

Once the race began the crowds that lined the course carried all kinds of signs, banners, noise makers, drums and just about everything one could carry. A series of notable signs read, “Chuck Norris never ran a marathon!” Whether or not that statement is true, it was funny. And I wasn’t the only crazy runner celebrating a birthday, there were tons of people holding signs for other birthday runners. I even shared a few words towards the end of the race with a guy who would be celebrating his birthday the day after. There were tons of other interesting signs along the route, but I’ll save the best for last.

Back to the people. Throughout the weekend, nearly everywhere we went, there were people that were going to be in the race; or at least helping or volunteering. With so many charity organizations around today it is often hard to figure out which would be a good fit for any given runner, and I was no exception to that rule. It took some time and a bit of research to find the right fit, and I did just that and got in touch with a wonderful person named Lily at OAR. It was great to finally meet her after months of e-mails and a few phone conversations. She was one of the people that made the weekend even better. Why? Because she cares about people. Lily, Mike and Chelsea, thanks for what you did over the weekend of the Chicago Marathon! You three really made things easy from beginning to end and I look forward to working with you again next year.

And since I’m on the Run for Autism thing, there were a good number of team runners along the course. Each time one would pass me there was usually a high-five, a pat on the back or at least a word of encouragement. Me, being a marathon virgin, needed every bit of help and encouragement I could muster. I know there was one runner in particular that said had it not been for me giving a pat on the back and word of encouragement, “I wouldn’t have made it. I was ready to give up.” And that made it worth while even more.

I think by this point most people on the planet that have access to a computer know about Twittter, Facebook, and MySpace. But, how many know that there is a social network sight for athletes? Indeed there is! DailyMile is the place where I have friends across the country (and a few out of the U.S.) who, for the most part, are runners. There we keep track of our exercises (running, walking, biking, swimming, etc.) and can share that with fellow athletes. It’s a great place for encouragement, tips and challenges. One friend I have been following for several months has been shedding pounds, and it is often amazing to see/hear of his results. While running somewhere between miles 7 and 10 (don’t quite remember where) I ran into Brian. It was great running with someone I have only had online interactions with prior to that meeting. He was easy to recognize because I had seen many pictures of him, and as I approached from behind and his left, I knew for sure it was him and so I introduced myself. It was great to share a few moments with someone who has been an encouragement to me online, in person.

I would be remiss to not mention two other important people that helped to make this possible. Last September three guys got together to run the Air Force Half Marathon in Dayton, Ohio; I just happened to be one of those three. Bobby (Lucky) and Tim (Sasquatch) have continued to be both inspirations for me and subtle reminders to me in this whole running endeavor. Without these two fine men I might still be a sedentary lump on the preverbal couch of laziness, thanks guys! I can’t wait to run the Flying Pig with you next May (even though I’m only doing the half there).

Saving the best for last . . . there were, as I mentioned, some really interesting signs along the way. I believe it was somewhere around mile 22 or 23, a place where many people began to fall from the heat, that I came across the most interesting sign of the day. Mind you, marathon runners push their bodies to extremes, so be prepared. I’m not kidding, there was a sign that actually read, “It’s Okay To Crap Your Pants!” You see, when you have to go, you have to go and I have heard stories of people going mid-stride. While running Sunday’s marathon I saw people peel off from the group as early as the first mile, finding any space they could to take a leak. I’m used to this by now having run a few half mary’s, but it is usually only the men. Yes, even women have to go to the bathroom and do it in the open. As I said, I wanted to save the best for last.
So those are some of the more memorable people from my marathon weekend. I know there are many others, but for now, this short piece on people will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment