Runner WIth a Reason

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Training Continues

Ok, so I’m pretty much done with the fund raising (for this year) and other than a 10k on Thanksgiving day and the Flying Pig half in May, I’ve got nothing on my schedule. This does not mean I will stop training though. I’m setting my sights on beating my last 10k time of 54:45, and hoping to post a 53 minute or less time in four weeks. Which, if I can do that, I should be able to post a sub-two hour time for the Pig - but the training must continue. If I stop now I run the risk of losing all that I’ve built thus far, and that is something I am not willing to sacrifice.

But I’m not the only one in the house training now. This past weekend my wife decided that she too would join the foray and tighten up her laces. Her decision to do so came not by coercion on my part, but she came to this on her own. Saturday I ran 4.3 miles, caught up with her, and walked another 2.75. Sunday our paths did not cross and she beat me back to the house! After this week her work schedule will allow us to train together (sort or) at least on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sundays. I’m really looking forward to this because it not only gives me that much more time with my wonderful and beautiful wife, but it gives us something we can do together as long as our legs and lungs will allow (hopefully into our aged years).

And, coming after the first of the new year we will have another person in training in house. Yes, my oldest has already (at the age of 12) completed a 5k. Next May he wants to try a 10k. He is planning on joining the track/cross country team in the spring, so he will get extra training outside of dear old dad pushing him. This means, however, that I will be running the Flying Pig 10k the day before the half marathon. But wait, there’s more! Our oldest daughter likewise, wants to start earning hard ward & soft ware (medals & shirts for you non-runners). In addition to the 13.1 Pig and the 10k Pig, I also get to run the 5k Pig. That’s right, three races in two days, two of them (10k & 5k) will be back to back (about 20-30 minutes rest between races). Crazy? Maybe, but I’m already looking forward to getting it done. It’s still less mileage than a full marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment