Runner WIth a Reason

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sickness & Health

Winter never truly showed up.  Here it is, the middle of March and we’ve barely seen any snow, and the usual low temperatures have been replaced by mild 50 to 60 degree temperatures.  I’m not complaining, merely making an observation.  I realized the warmth after yesterday’s six mile run . . . there was much sweat, something that hasn’t been there lately.  Running in cooler temperatures and cold temperatures tends to keep the body cooler, and I don’t perspire nearly as much.  However, with yesterday being nearly 75 degrees I was practically pouring once I stopped.  Today is supposed to be even warmer, but I cannot run.

My typical day has me out of bed by 4:45 and at work no later than 5:40.  This morning I found that I was up on time, but could not leave the house - there’s a sick kid.

I new something was up as soon as I left my room.  There was a certain smell that rushed at me, one that I’m all too familiar with, yet one that I really never have grown accustomed to.  It certainly wasn’t a smell I wanted to encounter this early in the morning, but there it was and I had no choice but to investigate and take care of it.

Some of it was in the bathroom, but the majority of it was in the boys’ room.  Having kids is never easy, and when one or more is sick it gets even tougher.  Normally I would clean the mess, wake the wife, and head to work.  I don’t have the luxury of leaving the house right now since mama is in Alabama.  I’m also not one to miss work very often, but when I do it is typically because someone else is sick, not me.

Why talk about sick kids here?  Well, this keeps me from getting any miles in today, and it just so happens that the sick kid is also my autistic son.  Any time one has a child with any sort of disability, it is only compounded by otherwise non-existent circumstances like illness.  The “normal” behavior is ramped up and made even more apparent.  In this case I’ll sometimes tell him, “Noah, your autism is showing!”  He understands the implied meaning behind that now (tone it down a bit, you’re acting up).  Having a child with any disability can be difficult, but having sickness with it just doesn’t help matters.

At least I’m home with him for a day.  Our interactions may not be the typical or normal, but we will be seeing more of each other today.  It’s never easy being a parent, but looking at the downside does nothing to make the situations better.  I’ll take what I can get, even if it means a day off from work to care for a sick kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment