Runner WIth a Reason

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Adding Up the Miles & Rollercoasters

I'm on my feet all day at work, so it's no wonder I've been having foot issues lately. First it was gout, which was promptly followed by plantar faciitis - but I'm not letting it put me too far behind in my training. Since I am on my feet, and some of it is outside, I've decided to start tracking my walking while at work and incorporating that into my overall miles (not to take away from running miles). Over the course of the past week or so I have racked up about 15 miles in walking while at work, most of it while mowing grass. Yesterday and today I tracked all of it. Yesterday I put in just over 2 miles mowing and today was just under 6 miles.

After walking behind a big mower all day today I thought I'd go for a short run before diving into homework. A quick change and some stretches and out the door I went. It's been such a beautiful day I'd hate to waste any of it while being indoors, so running was the natural choice for me. I set out to do between 4 and 5 miles and hit the mark pretty close at 4.4 miles. Averaged a 9:48/mile pace, which isn't too bad considering I'm still dealing with plantar faciitis. But with that in mind I've been reading up on this condition and have made some modifications to my shoe inserts that seem to be helping immensely. While I still have some pain, it is not so bad that I can't run. So I'm managing my pain and hoping this foot issue will be gone soon enough.

Time to switch topics . . .

We have season passes to Kings Island and have gone a few times so far this summer. After work yesterday I met Tina and the kids there. Noah had decided that he wanted to ride the Adventure Express rollercoaster, one he had never been on before because he wasn't tall enough. The older two siblings were on another ride so we waited so everyone could go, or so we thought. #4 was a bit too short, so she and Momma sat out while the older three and I hopped in line. While waiting Noah started having some doubts about riding this ride, but I talked him into staying (hoping I could get some sensory time in with him on the ride). It really is a good rollercoaster and the line moves quickly so we didn't have to wait long. Once inside he grabbed my hand and didn't let go the entire ride. When it was finished I asked if he liked the ride, to which he replied, "It was good, but I don't want to ride it again today. Once every time we come I'll ride it." Good enough for me! I really hope the flooding we are doing at K.I. this summer helps Noah, time will tell . . .

Until next time, keep up or catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment