Runner WIth a Reason

Friday, September 17, 2010

A Small Distraction

Well, for me autumn has officially come (starting next Saturday that is). It will be the last weekend in September and that means bow season for whitetail deer here in Ohio. I am still a novice at this bow and arrow hunting thing, but over the last five years I have come to really enjoy my time in the woods. Each year it is a nice distraction from so much.

The distraction is very close now, and I am finding it difficult to truly focus on anything else. You see, each year I gather up and purchase new equipment. First I got a new bow a few years ago, then I got a climbing tree stand, then it was a switch from aluminum to carbon arrows, and last year it was two trail cameras. I don’t have any new items on the list for this year, but last year’s purchase is coming in quite handy already.

This distraction takes my mind off of the coming weeks and will allow me to relax before heading to Chicago for the marathon. This doesn’t mean that I stop running, but it gives me a place to focus my attention on an activity that helps put things into perspective. Each fall I put in numerous hours in a tree stand, watching, waiting, hoping. Many people won’t understand this, and I understand, but for me it is tranquil. As I sit there (many times more than an hour before sunrise), I have plenty of quiet time to think, watch birds and other animals, watch the sun rise in the east, and wait for one of North America’s most majestic and elusive creatures.

My hope this year for the annual distraction is to harvest three to four nice deer, and maybe one of those will become a nice trophy. In addition I hope to take each member of my family out at least once so they too can experience the serenity, solitude and peace that I find along with the excitement of having a 120 - 250 pound animal right below their feet. I also hope that everyone else finds a distraction as well. Don’t forget about training for a fall marathon or half marathon, but find something that will help bring back the excitement that you had at the beginning of your training cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment