Runner WIth a Reason

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Short Term Plan

I am now two weeks and four days away from my first race for 2011. With this in mind I have to take a good look at my upcoming runs and the short term plan. I will hit my longest run this week at 13 miles, and cut back over the next two weeks on the long runs. My current goal for the Ohio River Road Runners half marathon is anything under 2 hours, but I’d really like to get it as close to 1:55:00 as possible.

So, what have I been doing to try to drop nearly ten minutes from my last half? Speed work. I used to just go out and get the miles, never really paying any attention to little things like speed workouts, intervals or fartleks, or anything else for that matter. Now, instead of just running, I set immediate goals for each run. Today, for example: I wanted between 3 - 4 miles of relatively up tempo running. I started with a 30 second walk on the treadmill, and over the next minute gradually increased the speed until I hit the 7:30/mile pace. I kept that up for about 3 minutes before backing down to a more comfortable 8:30 pace. Hit the first mile right around 8:05 - which is pretty fast for someone like myself (age does not make one better like a fine wine, and that’s for sure!). I pretty much kept this up over the course of the 3.1 miles and added short walk breaks between each mile. I have been using a similar concept on medium runs, but the speed bursts are limited to one minute (again, age is a limiting factor, but I do push myself). These speed bursts seem to have helped me, especially in the shorter runs, but also in the longer runs. I am confident that this work, along with the general aerobic runs will help push me below that, until now, elusive sub-two hour half marathon.

The other thing I think that has truly helped is my change in form. Last year’s Flying Pig half was good until I hit mile 12. I had the same issue there as I did at mile 19 in Chicago - my hips started to get incredibly tight. The main part of the problem was my running form, I was heal striking most of the run and crossing my feet. In Chicago I didn’t have the crossing problem until later in the race, and I wasn’t heel striking nearly as bad. During the Pig last year I actually had scrape marks on the insides of both ankles from crossing center. My shoes were rubbing the bones as they would cross, and it hurt! This caused some hip alignment issues, and the pain and tightness that ensued. Since Chicago I have focused on my form. I think it is safe to say I am no longer a heel striker (as I now run mid to fore foot), and I no longer have the crossing center issues. Shorter stride length and faster cadence have also helped me drop some time.

I have only missed one run so far this month, which for me is amazing! I still have two full weeks of training until the race, and I hope to make the most of each mile. I know I have been training better than I have in the past, and I know it will pay off come April 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment