Runner WIth a Reason

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stress: Another Reason to Run

Without a doubt, one of the greatest advantages I have found to my running is stress relief. I’m sure there are a plethora of studies to show how this is true, but let me just tell you from experience what running, or exercise in general, does for me.

It’s no surprise that the world seems to be in a continuously growing state of chaos. Earthquakes in New Zealand, Japan, and just today, Myanmar have created unprecedented disruption of human life in recent weeks. STRESS. Family life is another chaos creator, and my family has it’s share of that too. STRESS. Work can often lead to even more chaos. STRESS. Relationships with friends and extended family members only adds to the already mounting level of chaos. STRESS. Can you see a pattern? Nearly everything we encounter can lead to high levels of chaos and stress, and, without some kind of mechanism in place all of that stress can lead to high blood pressure, heart problems, and depression. Again, I’m sure there are plenty of studies to show this is true, but I’m not even going to start down that path.

How do I deal with it? Exercise. More specifically, I run. Whether you get out three times a week for a total of nine miles or you go out five to six times a week for 50 or more miles, the balance running can restore to your daily life is amazing. As I type this my blood pressure is starting to cool down after some strange interactions that have taken place, but I know that my exercise has already helped me cope with this elevated level of stress. When I run I hardly think about anything except what is in front of me. If I do have a complex thought, the time I spend running allows me to process all of the information, and from different angles - ultimately helping to reduce the impact of stress in my life. And I sometimes use that stress to my advantage . . .

It takes a lot to get me excited to the point of having elevated blood pressure, but this morning found me at that point. I tried to rationalize what had taken place, but it wasn’t helping. Talking with my wife about it only seemed to crystalize the thoughts I had swirling through my tiny little skull. What would really help would be a nice 3-4 mile run, even in the chilly 35 degree gloominess. I would be using my elevated heart rate for a good reason, negating the negative effects of the current stress and turning it into a much more positive experience. That time on the road or trail would also allow me more time to process and most likely come to a better conclusion about the stress monger.

I like having normal to slightly low blood pressure because of my exercise. I like that my exercise helps me process even the toughest circumstances and situations. I like being able to take an hour or less of my day to ensure my future health. And, I like being able to clear that bad stress from within and without at the same time.

How are you dealing with stress? Don’t run? Start walking a few times a week, even 20 - 30 minutes a day will help you too deal with all the stress creators in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment