Runner WIth a Reason

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Those Shoes!

Well, I’ve been sporting the Vibram Five Fingers for just over a month, and between the two pairs I have I’ve put about 23 miles in them - my feet are getting used to them quite well. The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is how other people perceive them. Last night we went to an annual Mardi Gras party, and my feet were the object of attention most of the night. “Nice socks!” “What’s that on your feet?” “You actually run in those?” were the most asked questions.

I think I repeated myself at least five times on the answers to those and many other questions. Since I decided to look into the minimalist running about two years ago I have done much research, read many an article and blog post, and finally came to a conclusion about it. That said, I find myself often answering questions about my latest version of footwear. Last night was a prime example.

I am, by no means, an expert on this subject, I just happen to read a lot about it and retain most of what I have read. So, when people ask (whether runners or not), I feel compelled to answer as many questions as I can. If I can’t answer them I point them to a variety of sources on the subject. In my own experience I can say that I have found the benefits far outweigh any of the cons. I have noticed an increase in speed, a noticeable lack of knee pain, and a shorter recovery time after runs. Yet, when I give the description to others about such benefits they seem amused and taken aback by said benefits. It’s almost as if I’m lying about it (by the looks on their faces).

I’m not attributing all of these benefits solely to the shoes, but I do believe much of what I am experiencing is due to the change in running form, stride length, and stride rate (cadence) due to the change in shoes. Add that to the amount of good training I have had thus far this year, and I am seeing positive results beyond what I could have imagined.

The VFF’s are not the only minimalist shoe out there today. There are many other good alternatives, and some are sport specific. But for me, these shoes have provided a means by which I can train better, farther, longer, and with less problems. Yes, they do look strange at first, but you get used to that. However, I’m still not used to all the questions that go along with wearing them in public!

No comments:

Post a Comment