Runner WIth a Reason

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cross Training

At some point in my training I thought it would be a good idea to add a few extra elements to help in my quest to run a marathon. I've always liked swimming, but never took it serious. Now I think of my time in water as meters/yards/miles traveled just as I would if I were running. I am slowly working my way up to greater distances in the pool, and each week it gets a little better. Two weeks ago I got in 200 meters immediately after spending 35 minutes lifting weights. Last week I made it through 500 meters, and today I got 600 meters in 19 minutes, 30 seconds. I know, when you look at Olympic records my time is nowhere near what those people swim, but for me it is an accomplishment. With any luck next week I will try to get to the 800 meter mark (1/2 mile for those unable to convert metric). My hope is that by the end of summer I will be able to swim a full mile (1600 meters), and that this extra training will vastly improve my running.

Like the swimming I have gotten back into lifting weights. Both of these add up to one thing, cross training. Endurance will be the one of the keys to me successfully completing the Chicago Marathon in October, but strength and a good tolerance for lactic acid buildup will also be to my advantage. This is where all of this comes into play. When I went to the gym (years ago as a Marine), I went to get bigger and stronger. I had a partner and we had our goals. I still have some of my notebooks and often wonder, "did I really lift that much in one session?" Now, things are different. I am not lifting to gain mass or excessive strength, but to add to my endurance. By lifting lesser amounts with higher reps and more sets I am building up my tolerance for lactic acid, that nasty substance that muscles produce when they start to get over worked. My hope is that this, like the swimming, will be just what I need to get me through those last few miles.

26.2 miles is a long way to run, double the distance of anything I've run to date. As I continue on with my training and fund raising events, don't forget to give me a pat on the back once in a while. If you see me resting, let me rest. If you see me running, tell me to push harder. If you happen to catch me in the gym, tell me to do one more set. If I'm in the pool, tell me to add another lap. I'm going to need all the help I can get between now and October 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment