Runner WIth a Reason

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fundraising Events

Today at work I heard a commercial about golfers, a statistics thing about how many people play and how many of those are actually professional golfers. What caught my attention was the end which said that even though they are well-paid professional athletes, even they have the same chance of having an autistic child as everyone else, 1 out of 110.

1 out of every 110 children born today are born with some form of autism, and 1 out of every 70 boys. I know this too well as my youngest son, Noah, is on the autism spectrum. While Noah is on the high functioning side of the spectrum, we still have our days where he is close to being non-verbal, and displays many classic autistic characteristics. It is for this reason that I am a part of the Run for Autism team and the Organization for Autism Research. My personal goal is to raise $500 for autism research before the Chicago Marathon. My hope is that I can raise over $1000 before November 10th.

Next Friday, July 23rd, will be the first public fund raising event for myself and for one of my running partners, Tim. We, in conjunction with Momma's Wooden Spoon and Harmony Hill Vineyards & Winery, are having a bake sale. Momma has some wicked good sugar cookies that she will be peddling at the winery. These cookies not only look cool, but taste really good too! If you know someone with autism and want to help fund research but don't have the means to donate hundreds or thousands of dollars, here's your chance. The cookies are $2.00 each, and in my own opinion, are worth it.

The winery is open Friday from 5:00 to 9:00 pm. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment