Runner WIth a Reason

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rain Out, Now What?

Today’s run has officially been canceled. It is raining now, and from the looks of the radar, thunderstorms are getting ready to roll in. I suppose an inside cross train session wouldn’t be too bad. We have the Wii Fit+ in the basement and I can always knock out some sit-ups, push-ups and get some light stretching in, right?

October is only 5 months away and that is the amount of time I have remaining to get my body in tip-top shape for my first full marathon. Training for this run will be a unique challenge for a few reasons. 1) The conditions I will train in here in southern Ohio will be quite different from race day conditions in northern Illinois 2) The course in Chicago is incredibly flat as opposed to the hills I run and train on here 3) I am quite familiar with the downtown Chicago area, but running through a few places I haven’t seen in about 10 years will be an experience. I am not worried about any of these things, but getting excited. I know the temps and humidity will play a factor in my running, but it should be in my favor in Chicago. Likewise, I am so used to running up and down hills it will be interesting to see how my body endures 26.2 miles of flat terrain - I should be able to maintain a constant speed throughout the race (hopefully around 8:45 - 9 minutes per mile). I am hoping the excitement of running through such a cool city will help push me along the route. I know I will be able to pick things out like, “hey, I used to work in that building” or “I think I attended a wine dinner in that restaurant” and the like.

At any rate, I am sure looking forward to experiencing my first full marathon in Chicago. The home of one of my favorite baseball teams (White Sox), my favorite hockey team (Blackhawks), and a favorite basketball team (Bulls). Sorry folks, I’m not a Cubs fan or a Bears fan. I am also looking forward to seeing some good friends along the course, hoping many will come out in support of me and my two running partners for this event (Tim & Lucky). Also, knowing that I will have raised money to support research for autism will be another motivating factor that should help push me through those difficult last few miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment