Runner WIth a Reason

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Shoes & Inserts

When I started running again about two years ago I set out to find a decent pair of running shoes. I had tried Nike, Reebok, Asics, and a variety of other shoes while running in high school and the Marines. I never found a pair I really liked. The task at hand was large and seemingly insurmountable, but I set out in hopes of finding some shoes that would feel good - even after several miles of running.

I started hitting a few shoe stores and ended up at a local DSW. I had never been in one and had no idea what I would find, but after looking for a few minutes I picked up a pair of Saucony Grid Propel running shoes, found the right size and was instantly overwhelmed. Not only did they fit length and width wise, but they actually felt comfortable. After training in those for about a year I decided it was time for another pair of shoes, so back to DSW. They did not have the same kind, but instead they had the new and improved Grid Propel 2. Slight modifications in the bridge of the shoe and even better arch supports. That pair of shoes got me through training for and running my first half marathon, training for and running two 10k’s and another half marathon. I still have them and used them now for my yard work shoes. Still holding together quite well.

For my next pair I once again went back to DSW, but this time it was a different location. They still had Saucony, but not the same shoes I had been running in. I tried a few pairs and decided on a particular one, taking the risk of buying two pairs. The Saucony Grid Ignition shoes, a half size bigger on purpose, have been a saving grace to me. I bought them slightly big so I could add running insoles with what was already in the shoe. This combination of shoe/insole made a huge difference during the 2010 Flying Pig half marathon. It was an incredibly wet run, with serious down pours just before the start of the race. I credit the shoes and insoles (along with a tightly tied pair of laces) for allowing me a pain free, blister free run. Talking with several people after wards I found that the wet conditions really hampered their performance, but this was not a problem for me.

I know each runner has their preferred brand of shoe, and it took me many years to find the one for me. My hope is that Saucony continues to make high quality shoes that will keep me on my feet.

Did you know that “autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases”? (autismspeaks.org) Help provide a voice to those who have a problem voicing their opinion and promote more research for autism. Click on the OAR Giving link and help a runner out!

No comments:

Post a Comment