Runner WIth a Reason

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Training (Gym, Swim, Run)

So yesterday was day one of getting back into the swing of things at the gym. I spent about 45 minutes doing weight training (upper & lower body), hit the eliptical for just over 10 minutes, and then got in the pool for a nice 400 meter swim. I hadn’t done laps in a pool for many years, so it was a little uneasy at first, but I got into a groove, changed strokes every other lap, and had fun with it. I am hoping to add more time in the pool throughout the summer, it’s a nice total body workout.

Today I decided to put my feet on the ground. I had planned in my head where I wanted to run, but one thing changed during the run. There is a road a little less than 1/2 a mile from the house I had never been on, so I figured I would add a little mileage by running down and back. Down and back equaled nearly 2 miles I hadn’t planned on, but it was nice because there was virtually no traffic to contend with, easy rolling hills, and lots of trees that provided great shade. The plan was to run most of the course from the Bethel 10k from last August, but after adding this little road I cut short (by about 1 mile) from the turning point. There’s always next time. The run today was great, 5.28 miles in 44:09 which is an 8:22/mile pace. Mile four was under 7 minutes and I didn’t feel like I was struggling. Really hoping I can get below the 50 minute mark for a 10k and under 2 hours for the next 1/2 marathon. I think if I keep up the current training those goals will be easily met.

No comments:

Post a Comment