Runner WIth a Reason

Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer Events

I have never really had to ask for money, a few times I’ve had to borrow from family members, but I have not asked for money to donate to a charity. It feels weird, awkward, and a little unsettling all at the same time. The economic times are tough. People have lost and are still loosing jobs. Homes are being foreclosed on because of the loss of jobs, and the money just isn’t there like it was only a decade ago. It really is a struggle to ask someone to give. While my job may not be a high powered one and doesn’t pay all too well, I am fortunate enough to have a job. I have been in the same position for six years now with a couple small raises here and there, but nothing significant and no option to scale the ladder upwards. It is a deadlock position with little to no chance for advancement, but I am glad to have it.

Having stated that I don’t make a ton of money each year it is necessary for me to count on others to help me reach my goal of raising $500 towards autism research for OAR. But this post isn’t about you, the reader, going to the OAR giving page and donating online. No, this is about you, the reader, doing something simple that can help bring me closer to my goal. Right now there are a couple of planned events with a few others on the back burner, here’s what they are:

Fund raising event #1: Aluminum Can Drive. Sunday, June 27, 2010. Runner With a Reason will be collecting aluminum cans to take to the local recycling station in exchange for cash. This cash will go into the bank and then into the OAR account. While this may not net a ton of funds towards the goal, every bit counts. Currently, aluminum cans are bringing about $0.65 per pound, but the market changes from week to week. Other can drives will be held each month toward the end of each month for July, August and September.

Fund raising event #2: Tire Flippin’ Butt Kickin’ Autism Awareness Challenge. Still trying to hash out a date for this, but tentatively looking at July 10th or July 17th for possible dates. This event is something that has come about because of a cousin of mine and it involves a 118 pound tractor tire that will be flipped end over end for over 300 yards. Sponsors can make flat donations or can take the challenge route where cousin “T” posts a time and I have to beat that time, donations will be based on a $$$ per second difference (the amount set by the person making the donation), and can be for either cousin “T” or for Runner With a Reason.

All of this for one reason: Raising both funds for research and awareness of autism. Autism is a strange thing and affects people differently, and thus, the “spectrum” which has those ranging from low functioning to high functioning. Those on the lower end of the spectrum are generally classified as having “classic autism” while those on the high end of the spectrum can have either Asperger Syndrome or diagnosed with PDD-NOS (Pervasive Development Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified). The reason I run, my son Noah, was diagnosed PDD-NOS and shows some characteristics of classic autism and some characteristics that fit more with Asperger’s. As Tina and I have learned, this diagnosis comes with all sorts of challenges and we know this condition is something Noah will live with his entire life - it will never really go away.

This is why funding research is so important to me. If there is something that can be done to help Noah and others like (or worse than) him I want to do as much as I can to provide something towards that end. Giving sacrificially is never easy, especially in tough times. I promise to train as best I can and give of my body, my time, and my abilities. I may not have much in the way of money to give, but I will do my very best at making up for that lack by sacrificing towards finishing my first marathon in October. Please consider giving, whether by donating aluminum cans, by showing up at the Tire Flip, or by going to my OAR giving page - not dollar is too small.

For more information about the aluminum can drive or the tire flip go to the RWR fan page on Facebook and look at the "Events" tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment