Runner WIth a Reason

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Walk Now for Autism Speaks

What a wonderful day to have a “walk in the park!” It was an amazing sight this morning as we pulled into the parking lot at Coney Island. Last year, we were able to park pretty close to where the tents, registration, and start/finish area were. This year we barely got through the gate off Kellog Ave before being told where to park - what a hike! The number of people who came out in support of the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event today was a little overwhelming, but a good thing to see that autism is getting such attention; very much needed attention.

The walk itself was quite enjoyable. Roughly it spanned the outer edge of Coney Island and, according to my GPS, about a two mile trek. So not only did we do a walk for autism, but I logged in a couple extra miles this week (unplanned). Noah did a pretty good job, he walked about the first 1/3 before asking to ride on my shoulders - and I of course said yes. However, after about another 1/3 of the walk I was done carrying him and he finished the walk on his own feet. A short break after walking to have a picnic style lunch with a family friend (Mr. Brian who has graciously walked with us the last two years), and then we hit the park.

Maybe because of the sheer number of people this year, we were unable to ride all of the rides that had been requested, either by Noah or the others. Last year we hardly waited in a line, but this year we waited in every line. One ride closed right as the three older and I waited right at the gate; something had broken right as the ride before us was ending - we spent 10 minutes waiting only to get bumped by a broken ride :-( No matter, we rode rides, walked a bit more, and got in paddle boats for a while. The boys and I in one boat, Tina, the girls and Mr. Brian in the other. All in all it was a fabulous day and one well spent with my wonderful family. We stopped on the way home to pick up supplies for root beer floats and everything was good.

I have learned from this day, much like I had learned last year. Humility, gratitude, and thankfulness are the lessons for me from this day. Humility in that I know I have a child who is different. Autism seems so random at times, and yet so specific at others. I have to humble myself before this “thing” and know that I don’t know everything and I don’t have all the answers. Autism is a “big thing” to have to deal with, and I have to have humility in order to continue to live a “normal” life. Gratitude in that I know I can’t do it all by myself. There are a good number of people I say “thank you” to, but I won’t do that here or by name. Our team raised nearly $500 for this event, something we didn’t even come close to last year. I am extremely grateful for those of you who gave, and gave generously. Deep pockets are a rare thing these days, but by the grace of God, you put your hands deep into your pockets to raise a good amount of money in a rather short time period. Thankful in that I am surrounded by such a great group of friends and family that provide more than monetary support. You know who you are and know what you do that is a support to Tina and I when it comes to dealing with Noah and his “Noah-isms.” I am a thankful person for all that is given me by all of you.

The pictures here are only a couple of the many taken. To see more of the Coney Island photos from the walk hit the Facebook fan page.

No comments:

Post a Comment